Saturday Night Movies & Crochet 2016 Recap in Pictures!


Can you believe it's time for my 2nd Annual Saturday Night Movies & Crochet Recap?  
If you'd like to read the recap for 2015, it's here!!
If you follow my Facie page, you'd know that most Saturday nights (or Sunday nights), the Blonde Bombshell (aka BFF Emma) and my lovely Bear and I watch movies. And crochet. 

Now you and I both know that there's nothing more wonderful than curling up on the couch with a bit of tellie, or a movie and picking up yarn and hook. And drinking the tea and eating the munchies.

Sometimes we've had Ring Ins join us.  And without fail they have been all like, "So you really do crochet AND watch movies?!?" like it's the last bastion of crazy multitasking and it's as weird as if we told them AND demonstrated that we wrote an aria AND painted with our feet at the same time.

Most of the time I post a little Photo mosaic of whatever we're watching and both crocheting on Facie.  When the Bear joins us, he doesn't crochet. But I'm sure if he could give a car an oil change or tinker with solar panels in the loungeroom, he'd do that.

What he does do is help us unravel tangles, slowly unwind tricky yarn balls and sip his Scotch and regularly drops hints to the Blonde Bombshell to see if she'll finally succumb and watch Sharknado. He didn't succeed in 2015 or 2016 and has almost come to the realisation that he is fighting a losing battle.

So to wrap up our year in movies, I thought I'd indulge and give a recap of my photo mosaics from Facebook. 

4 January 2016: The Man From U.N.C.L.E.

With all the New Years excitement, our very first Saturday Night Movies & Crochet began on a Monday night.  And watching the delicious Henry Cavill in The Man from U.N.C.L.E. 
The Mothership was working on a cream/ brown toned granny square blanket while I continued my neon budgie experiment from the year before.


16 January 2016: Dogma

It was a little too soon to watch Truly Madly Deeply. I would have had all of the feels and crys. So tonight in honour of the great man we found a copy of Dogma. Alanis Morrisette as God is a delight. The Blonde Bombshell was finishing a cute little crochet elephant huggy, and I was still working on my Axel Budgie cushion cover. RIP Alan Rickman. We'll miss your delicious eloquence.



23 January 2016: A Good Day To Die Hard
I love a bit of Boxhead (aka Bruce Willis). And here he is in all his boxheady glory where he manages to maintain the ever parental expression on his face of "when I get you home son, you're so grounded!"
I must have been on my own that night because all we can see in the mosaic below is a picture of the beginning of my Gingham POP! cushion. 

Saturday Night Movies & Crochet

30 January 2016: Annie Hall

 
I'm possibly about to offend alot of movie purists here, but I really disliked this movie. Annie Hall with Diane Keaton and Woody Paedophile, er I mean Allen. Diane Keaton is always an absolute delight despite not changing her wardrobe style since the 70s. But the 'Bugsy Malone in a Pharrell Williams Hat' look really suits her! 

As for HIM. Even before the world discovered what he was doing to his underaged daughter, I always found him to be a whiney, gross little man. This movie only strengthened that opinion. 


Saturday Night Movies & Crochet

20 February 2016: The Night Before...

A big gap in movie watching here. And by accident we're watching a Christmas movie in February. The Night Before...  A bit stupid and quite funny.
The Blonde Bombshell was working on a lovely big stripey blanket which you will see in many months of photo mosaics to come (because it took months to finish), and I was making little amigurumi cupcakes.

Saturday Night Movies & Crochet

5 March 2016: Words & Pictures

A nice quiet little movie with a drunken Clive Owen and delectable Juliette Binoche. Almost the same as The Rewrite with Hugh 'The Dancing Prime Minister' Grant.  Uni professors who failed at life etc. 

Saturday Night Movies & Crochet

12 March 2016: Arrow (TV Series)

My usual movie companions are AWOL this week so I indulged in binge watching Arrow on the old Netflix and playing around with some bright cotton yarns!


Saturday Night Movies & Crochet

19 March 2016: Deadpool

Let's start this week with a few words from the man himself:
"You're probably thinking, "Whose balls did I have to fondle to get my very own movie"? I can't tell you his name, but it rhymes with "Polverine."
One of the funniest superhero movies in ages. Breaking the fourth and sometimes 16th walls. And speaking of balls, I took a photo of a basket of them, but I'll be buggered* if I can remembered what I crocheted with them!
 
*classic Australian expression which roughly translates to: 'honestly'.... As in "I'll be buggered if I can remember where I left my keys."  Translation: "I honestly can't remember where I left my keys."  It does not mean the speaker wants the act of buggery to occur in order to help them remember. They may implant a boomerang between your eyes if you try.

Saturday Night Movies & Crochet

2 April 2016: Orlando

The Blonde Bombshell was still working on her grey and plum afghan whilst I had a hot mess of tangled yarn balls to clean up. And some classic Tilda Swinton! I did love this movie. Weird and wonderful.


Saturday Night Movies & Crochet


This movie was so memorable that I can't remember any of it. Which possibly means it was neither bad nor good. Nor interesting. Maybe a few mild laughs. Zzzzzzzzzzz
At the time I wrote: "The Blonde Bombshell is still working on her scrummy blanket & I'm in purple cardigan making heaven!"  Scratch that. I ended up in Cardigan making hell with a pattern from a magazine that created a large hessian sack type thing despite diligently working up a swatch.

Saturday Night Movies & Crochet

24 April 2016: The Dressmaker

I was still plodding along with my crochet cardi and watching Kate Winslet do a pretty decent Aussie accent. Which means I wasn't hearing anything like "tha deengo ayte moi baybee"! It actualy sounded like a normal Aussie saying, "The dingo ate my baby." which to people from the US and the UK still probably sounds like, "tha deengo ayte moi baybee".


Saturday Night Movies & Crochet

30 April 2016 (Part 1): Pride & Prejudice (TV Series)
 
Not a Saturday Night, a Saturday afternoon trying yet another cardigan pattern and soaking up all of the Mr Darcy goodness.  

Saturday Night Movies & Crochet


30 April 2016 (part 2): Captain America Civil War

I took along the crochet to a family trip out to watch Captain America: Civil War, but the movie had so much happening, the crochet didn't even make it out of my bag!  A wonderful night out at our favourite local cinema, the Sun Theatre in Yarraville.


Saturday Night Movies & Crochet

7 May 2016: Pan

An early Saturday night movies & crochet tonight for this sick Amazona. I was snuggled up on the couch with Sonofagun No.2 watching Pan with his dark curly locks on my lap and working on the idea of yarnbombing my broken stag clock.
Hugh Jackman does a decent job of not looking very attractive and bald.


Saturday Night Movies & Crochet

14 May 2016: Eurovision (TV Event Extravaganza)

HAPPY EUROVISION!!!!

I look forward to this weekend every year. With or without Australia competing. It wasn't as kitchsy this year but the girls and I got together for the Blonde Bombshells sister Elises' birthday to soak up Europop, Eurovision drinking games and dumplings.

Saturday Night Movies & Crochet

15 May 2016: More Eurovision

It was the Eurovision Grandfinal. Aussie girl Dami Im did us proud coming in 2nd!!!! 

If you're one of the many who ask. "Why is the country that is physically located the furthest from Europe and not even a part of Europe in a European song contest?"  then pop over to my post here to find out why!

Tonight we were watching His Royal Vegemite Yumminess in In The Heart of the Sea... with ALL of the chocolate!   
At the end of this movie, despite the fact it was 9 days before the start of winter, I felt sunburnt, dehydrated and exhausted. And possibly pregnant from watching Chris Hemsworth.
 
Did someone say 'Polverine'?
I'm not a huge X-Men fan but these movies are fun. That is all. And I had nice roses that weekend.

Saturday Night Movies & Crochet



4 June 2016: The Raid 2

This is my gorgeous half Indonesian Sonofagun No.1s favourite movie. A little violent martial arts gem from Indonesia called The Raid 2. FYI many of the lead characters from this movie are the characters from Kultcha Crew in Star Wars: The Force Awakens. 
I was working on some more leaves and flowers and he typed mysteriously on his laptop 》insert roll eyes《. The only downside was the movie is dubbed into english. 🙁With subtitles. One or the other people. One or the other. Oh and the subtitles weren't 100% correct either. 

Saturday Night Movies & Crochet

10 June 2016: Harry Potter & The Goblet of Fire

The Sonofaguns and I were staying in a cute little cabin for the night on our way up to Canberra. I had my travel basket full of cottons and this popped up on the tellie. We can watch Harry Potter movies over and over again!  The Goblet of Fire is one of our favourites.

I was a bit late to the whole Downton Abbey thing. I started watching it while working on my silk virus shawl. It was so delightful to watch. The silk yarn was purchased from my buddy Danielle from Raxor Yarns. The nougat and felt ball garland were purchased at the Maribyrnong Makers Market that weekend.  

Remember people... it's DOWNTON, not DOWNTOWN Abbey!
Saturday Night Movies & Crochet

 
 
So occasionally we like to watch something silly. And in our quest to find a fun James Corden movie, we came across this little gem. James Corden and some random friend go on an adventure and end up getting a little stabby with a neck loving 2000 year old vampire queen who has a curse against some random village in Suffolk. It is what it is, as my Fatherdom would say.
 
Saturday Night Movies & Crochet




2 July 2016 : The Rewrite

A nice quiet little movie with a drunken Hugh 'The Dancing Prime Minister' Grant and delectable Marisa Tomei. Almost the same as Words & Pictures with Clive Owen. Uni professors who failed at life etc. If in doubt see 'Words & Pictures' (above).
I finally finished my Virus shawl and the Blonde Bombshell finally finishes her grey & purple blanket!

Saturday Night Movies & Crochet

31 July 2016: White House Down
 
Oh Channing My Tatum, would you pretty please dance for me? No? Then at least shoot up some baddies and do burnt outs in a limo on the White House lawn.  And Katie Holmes' ex boyfriend is in it too.
I started working on the Bear Cubs bright green & yellow blanket. Big granny squares which he loved!
 


Saturday Night Movies & Crochet

 
6 August 2016: Furious 7
 
All of the feels as we said goodbye to Mr Walker. And guys drive cars really fast. And somehow don't get pull over by the Fuzz for speeding. Totes like real life.
 
The Blonde Bombshell started making adorable little blue coasters, and I started my epic sock knitting journey (Drink!).  That epic sock knitting journey (drink!) has not yet finished and is a continual source of annoyance. Let's ignore the fact I keep buying more sock yarn for all the socks I want to make in the future if I ever get around to finishing this first pair. So this started in August. I am writing this in January. I will not give up!!!
 


Saturday Night movies & crochet




 
13 August 2016: My Brilliant Career
 
I did like this movie. An old Aussie classic starring Judy Davis and the guy from Jurassic Park. He's one of those guys who we call Aussie, and the rest of the world think is Aussie but is actually from New Zealand. The reason we call him Aussie is because in the ages-old Aussie vs NZ rivalry, we refuse to think anything good comes from New Zealand, and when it does we instantly go into denial and call it Australian. I mean the US pretty much thinks New Zealand is another state of Australia anyway! Like good old Rusty Crowe, Crowded House and Keith Urban. And Hobbits.
 
(Dear New Zealand. You know I'm kidding. Your Hakas are the only thing that brings me to the TV during the rubgy. All Blacks 4eva. Don't tell dad I said that.)
 
I also had a trip to the snow earlier that day. A once a decade event for me.
So far the socks are doing well. I had only frogged once at this stage of my sock knitting journey (drink!).
 


Saturday Night Movies & Crochet

 
20 August 2016: On the Beach
 
So I had a hankering for a good old musical beach movie. You know the ones? With guys in little shorts singing on surf boards to brainless bikini girls? The good ole' days! I really should have done my research before playing this depressing apocalyptic gem.  Filmed in the 1950s around Melbourne, Phillip Island and the arse end of Frankston, Ava Gardner, Gregory Peck  Fred Astaire absolutely do not sing and dance on the beach. They all die. It's depressing.
 
Don't let the romantic movie poster fool you. Fred Astaire is so depressed he gasses himself in the garage. Oops, sorry: SPOILER ALERT!!! Fred Astaire gasses himself in a garage.
On the bright side, BBS was crocheting a lovely fluffy blue blanket! The week after this I
 

Saturday Night movies & crochet
 
 
3 September 2016: Blue Hawaii
 
Can you see what I tried to do here? Fix last weeks movie mistake by finding an actual real-life beach movie. With guys in little shorts singing on surf boards to brainless bikini girls. The good ole' days!
 
The Blonde Bombshell was now making a white fluffy blanket (it's so fluffy I wanna die!) and I started my candy stripe Kamila cardigan.
 


Saturday night movies crochet


 
17 September 2016: Arthur Newman
 
He pretends to be someone he's not. She seems to be pretending to be someone she's not, but it turns out she ain't faking. Except when they're bonking in other peoples houses while wearing their clothes.
 
I began the arduous task of blanket stitching the polar fleece to the back of Bear Cubs green blanket while the BBS started crocheting a beanie for her boyfriend.
 


saturday night movies & crochet


 
24 September 2016: The Lucky One.
 
I'm not gonna lie. We only watched this to see Zac in a sex scene. If you've seen it, that's why you watched it. It's true, isn't it?  It's ok. He's that yummy.
 
I don't know what I crocheted. The BBS held that ball of grey yarn for the entire movie. It didn't get crocheted into anything. Zac has that effect on women.
 


saturday night movies and crochet



1 October 2016: The Magnificent Seven

Steve McQueen, James Coburn, Charles Bronson, Yul Brynner and some other guys.

Pure Western Awesomeness!

We watched this with the plan to watch the new version the following weekend, then never got around to it. It was like The Great Escape but with horses.

I was finishing my Kamila Cardigan and the BBS was making another gorgeous fluffy blanket.



15 October 2016: The Matrix
 
Sonofagun No.1 felt I was lacking in edu-ma-cation because I hadn't watched The Matrix yet.
 
It was good but all I can tell you is Keanu Reeves cut his hair and doesn't play guitar with the little blonde guy anymore. He woke up as a bald baby in an alien pod and wears cool black clothes while doing some freaky bendy moves to dodge bullets. Laurence Fishburne then has to be rescued. The End.
 




 
5 November 2016: Doctor Strange
 
You know we love our super hero movies. We made this a family night out to the cinema to watch the new Marvel movie Dr Strange.
 
It was good but all I can tell you is Benedict Cumberbatch cut his hair and doesn't play Sherlock Holmes with the little Hobbit guy anymore. He woke up with broken fingers and wears cool blue clothes while doing some freaky bendy moves to dodge bullets. Hong Kong then has to be rescued. The End
 



 

12 November 2016: One Chance
 
So somehow the BBS and I were looking for James Corden movies having possibly watched another funny Carpool Karaoke and found this. And decided that despite having never watched Britains Got Talent, nor ever having any interest in Britains Got Talent or any other talent shows that we had to watch a movie about a guy who won a talent show. >>shrugs<<
 

19 November 2016: Fantastic Beasts & Where to Find Them

This was another outing to our favourite local theatre. Before the movie, the projectionist was let out of his little cage, wore a Sorting Hat and told us about the difference between 35mm and 70mm film. We then watched the movie in 70mm film. Apparently it was better to look at. I might need to see it again. There was too much to look at. I am an old whingey woman. 

I didn't knit my socks at the cinema as a part of my sock knitting journey (drink!), but gave a progress pic anyway.  I had not yet thrown them in the corner in disgust.  I had already though frogged them about 64 million times. And maybe thrown them in the corner in disgust twice.
 

 
 
Oy with the poodles already.
 
I lived all year for this mini series to come back. It was magical and unlike many, I was actually very satisfied with the ending. I kind of thought that it may end that way!
 
"Is it raining?"
"No, it's National Baptism Day. Tie your tubes, idiots"
 
The BBS was making some cute chicken headdresses for her little dance students while I continued my sock knitting journey (drink!).
 

 
 

Christmas Movie Time!!!!

 
3 December 2016: Die Hard
 
We watch this as a part of our Xmas movie round up every 2nd year or so. It is that good.
 
So we poured out the Egg Nog, lit the lights on the Xmas tree and watched good ole Boxhead push Hans off the Nakatomi Tower. Yippee Kiyay Mofo!!! 


10 December 2016: Merry Friggin' Christmas

Now this was released in Australia under the title ' A Merry Christmas Miracle'.  So we thought "Awww! How sweet! A nice Xmas movie with Robin Williams!" Then we googled it and discovered it was a black comedy. Meh. It's all good. Funny, strange, nice to see Candice Bergen has been wheeled out of Cryo, and they hit Santa with a car.



 

 
17 December 2016: Mixed Nuts
 
And they really, really were.
 
I think we were scraping the barrel with this one.
I was crocheting a red gift bag for someones Xmas pressie and drinking the egg nog like water. Then I became a mixed nut.
 


25 December 2016: Die Hard 2

Our last movie for 2016 ended with a BANG! Christmas night and Boxhead was on TV.
Total bliss!!!
Our whole family was at the Parental Units for Xmas, we were stuffed up on Roast Chook, BBQ Salmon, prawns and getting stuck into my boozy, sloozy trifle.
Because that's how we roll at Xmas!


So there it is Lovelies! A year of Saturday Night (sometimes Friday, Sunday or Monday) Movies & Crochet.

Catch up with me on my Facie Page every Saturday and tell me what you're watching/ crocheting!
xox
Louise


The Red Haired Amazona

Comments

  1. GREETINGS from SNOWVILLE! :-D
    Anyhoo, great Review! Now I know what NOT to watch and what to go looking for in the DVD bargain bins. Personally, I'm mostly a TV series DVD addict. Did a few ALL NIGHTERS over the Holiday going through my NEW "pile"! - BLACK SAILS S3, RIPPER STREET S4, REIGN S3, GAMEofTHRONES S6 [bugger! My old buddy Sid got bumped off in the 1st ep! again! He's forever getting killed off on shows!] - I'll be throwing in the crochet and knitting once I do the 2nd viewings! Nothing like playing with pointy things when watching battle scenes and other blood-gushing gruesomeness! ;-D [Mom, who LOVES "SHARKNADO", always rags about me watching grisly stuff like "VIKINGS" and "FRONTIER"!] - Then again, considering how much shovelling I've been doing for the past month, I could do with some "COLOUR"...
    Did 2hrs worth of LAST year's snow earlier! 8" - Would've had more, but my neighbour "rescued" me with his snowblower to do the plowpoop bit.
    #JediMindTrainedNeighbours
    hmm... All this talk of cinema... Think I'll pop in a disc and start on the reruns right now... Got a hat to get back to... It's CRIMSON!
    :-D
    X

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Red Haired Amazona on Etsy!