A Quick Catch Up


It's not as though I haven't been doing anything.


It's just that I feel like I haven't had much to blog about!


Autumn and the decline into colder weather kind of brings me down and makes me feel boring. And kind of blah. But that doesn't mean I haven't been crocheting!

I have had several projects on the go over the past month.



My fairy godfather had a birthday coming up. And in his little NSW country town of Boorowa, it gets really really cold in winter.


So I found some super soft yarn called Lion Brand heartland in a lovely denim blue. 




 It's ironic because last year I was in New York and wanted to visit the Lion Brand Studio but other things kind of got in the way.


I had one opportunity when I went out exploring on my own to visit Lion brand Studio. I recently discovered when I was hotfooting it over to the Highline, I practically walked past it without realising!  But that day I desperately needed to walk in some nature.


Then at a point when I thought, "I should go find that Lion brand Studio place!" I kind of went off on a desperate last minute mission....


Yes. It is true. I am a dedicated, hard core Pokémon Go player. I admit it. I chose Pogo over yarn. But I had a luggage allowance to think of!!!! And a virtual souvenir weighs a lot less than the amount of yarn you and I know I would buy!
I raced across to Grand Central Station to catch this guy (as they are only found in the USA so it was a true PoGo souvenir!), then it was time to head back to the apartment for dinner.

So it feels a little bit cheaty to buy Lion Brand yarn at my local craft shop here in Melbourne. And probably for twice the price it would have cost me if I bought it instore!




I found this wonderful stitch online. It's called rib stitch. It is gorgeous as it looks like knitting but works up VERY fast! 

I found the tutorial for the stitch on the blog My Hobby is Crochet which has a super easy to follow tutorial!

I also crocheted a matching beanie.


Excuse me for looking a little bleary eyed! I was up late finishing this so I could send it off in the first mail bag to Boorowa!

To make the beanie, I crocheted a rectangle using rib stitch, then slip stitched it together on two sides, then pulled the yarn through the top part so it bunched up tight.





If you recall I crocheted a quick little bunny beanie for an Easter Hat Parade at work.  I am in the process of writing up the pattern.



It is just very hard finding spare time lately. Personally this is kind of devastating!  I used to have so much time to design and publish patterns.  Now although I crochet all the time, pattern writing is much more time consuming and it's very difficult finding that time! 



I have also been working on a project which may take a very long time. For this type of project, I'm a perfectionist.  I won't say too much yet in case I throw it in the corner out of frustration but I'll give you a little hint...

Image courtesy of Australian Geographic.
If you've read my blog a little over the past few years, you may have picked up on the fact that Eurovision is my Christmas.

The Blonde Bombshell Miss Emma, the lovely Elise and I got up at an eye-watering 4.30am a couple of weeks ago on Sunday morning to watch the grand final live from Lisboa, Portugal.






We had a yummy breakfast of bacon, eggs and pancakes!



We LOVE the wacky acts so were super happy our favourite singing act won!

A song that features Wonder Woman, Pikachu, a chicken dance sung by a gorgeous lady wearing a hot pink kimono and yarn balls on her head is a winner in my book!

Thanks for visiting!
xox
Louise
The Red Haired Amazona





Comments

  1. Both my husband and I were happy to see your blog post pop to the top of my list and enjoyed reading your update immensely. Why don't you have the time you used to have? :-) I created a ribbed hat design similar to what you made but I figured out a way to make the top less bunched. This is how.. I chain how long I want the hat to be from top to bottom, single crochet in the back loop up, then back down, then when I go back up I stop 3 stitches from the end, cr down and when I got back up I stop 3 from the top again, then down and on the way up I crochet those 3 beyond (not the first dropped 3) and then down, then the next time up I go all the way to the top. Repeat until the hat is enough to go around the head and stitch up the last row. Doing it this way it's more tailored on top. I hope I explained it good enough! ((hugs)), Teresa :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. The scarf and hat look very fine, thank's for the tip of that stitch!
    (And I have to admit that I also have an addiction, but it's not Pokémon Go, it's much more stupid: it's candy crush... I've just passed level 3000! *shame*)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Red Haired Amazona on Etsy!