Corin Crochet Cowl

There's a place just outside my home town of Canberra called Corin Forest.  In summer it's a lovely place to go for a picnic. In winter it gets cold enough to snow a little bit. They have a snow play area which is supplemented by a snow-making machine and a really fun 1.2km alpine slide.

It's no Chamonix, that's for sure! But we used to take day trips up there when Sonofagun No.1 was little. We'd take a big thermos of piping hot soup for lunch and make snow men, have snowball fights and slide down the hill on plastic toboggans.

I have had these chunky yarns tucked in my stash for a few years. I'm not big on chunky yarns as you have probably seen all my little birds which use super skinny cottons!


The first thing I made with the chunkys was a new dog coat for Chuck Norris the pugalier. He loves it!

With the rest I made something for myself. A chunky, granny square cowl. Named it the Corin Cowl as it will keep you warm in Alpine temperatures with those lovely soft alpine colours!

It's super easy to make. 

It's made up of 2 rows of 11 granny squares sewn into a loop. You can make more or less depending how tight or loose you want it to be. So let's get started!


Yarn & Notions

Your choice of colours in chunky acrylics. I have used Moda Vera Mawson.
8mm crochet hook
Scissors
Needle for sewing in ends

Choose your own colours!
Round 1: Starting with a magic ring, chain 4 (counts as 1st dc and ch1), then {dc, ch1} x 7. Join with slip stitch to top of beginning ch3. Finish off. [8dc, 8 ch]



Round 2:  Join your 2nd colour in any Ch1 space. Ch3 (counts as 1st dc), 2dc in same space. Then 3dc in each ch1 around. Join with a slip stitch to top of beginning ch3. Finish off.  [8 x 3dc]
Round 3: Join your 3rd colour in between two 3dc clusters.
Ch3, then 2dc in same space. Sk 3 dc, *in space between next 2 clusters {3dc, ch3, 3dc}, sk 3dc, in next space between 2 clusters {3dc}. Repeat from * three more times. Sk 3 dc, then in space between next 2 clusters {3dc, ch3, 3dc}. Join with a slip stitch to top of beginning ch3. Finish off.
Your completed square should look like this:

Make another 21 squares or more if you wish but in multiples of 2.

Sewn together in 2 rows as per the photo below.

Then sew the two short ends to form a loop.

This cowl is so thick, chunky and soft and SUPER warm!









Comments

  1. Love the chuck Noris photo bombs! Great design Louise.... have to come to the UK when you can wear it 60% of the year!

    ReplyDelete
  2. fyi having a problem pinning this tutorial to pinterest.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your comment. I've just double checked the squidgy html stuff and hopefully the pictures should pin now.

      Delete
  3. I like the hand-spun look of that yarn and I like what you made out of it. I have a big bag of beachy colored yarn staring at me to make Lucy's Dune shell blanket. ((hugs)), Teresa :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do love Lucys Dune blanket! Funny how I've used winter colours and you're about to use summery beach colours!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Red Haired Amazona on Etsy!