Whip out those WIPs

I love having a little space to myself. It's a study for everyone to use, but really, I've taken it over.

It's also where I work from home while we're not supposed to go into the office. 8Track and Chuck usually hang out with me when I'm working and are often sleeping cosily in the background during Webex meetings.

There's a bed in there for guests, and I've stuck up sticky notes of french words and started gradually finding all those lost pieces of stationery and sorting them.

A few days ago I was trying to find one of my favourite crochet hooks. It was made by my friend Vicki from Off the Hook for You. A nice 3.5 mm with a pretty blue polymer clay handle.

I knew it was in a WIP bag somewhere. So I started digging in all my nooks and crannies.
And found ALL.MY.WIPs.
Chuck is looking as though he is mirroring my shame.
Clearly this was not acceptable. So I decided to sort out this WIP mess.
I found a cross stitch project from only a few months ago...
A granny square project. I seriously can't remember doing it, starting it or WTF I was thinking with some of these colours?
I vaguely remember crocheting these and writing up some notes on the patterns in Summer? They're quite pretty and I thought, "Gee what a clever clogs I am! I must finish this!"
I started making a lovely lacy shawl out of this beautiful yarn cake a couple of years ago. But I'll be stuffed if I remember where the pattern came from....
Such sad devastation. Not a WIP but a WAS. This WAS a bolster cover I crocheted in 2018. And shortly after we adopted Chuck Norris, he adopted this bolster and kind of killed it. I never wrote up the pattern. But I kept this and had the intention of sewing it back together. However after a couple of years under the couch it just looks shabby. I've kept it so I can write down the stitches I used and do a new cover. I do love a bolster!
I bought this yarn from some place, some time and crocheted this thing. I remember devoting hours to it and... rolled it up and stuck it under the couch.
Wrist cuffs revisited. And left unfinished.
Pretty cottons assembled... and your guess is as good as mine.
I found an assortment of granny squares, samplers and half made bits from several different locations. 
A-ha! I was super happy to find this project. It's a hand towel thingo! It's basically a tea towel with a crocheted top that buttons onto handles in the kitchen. It is THE designated hand towel for drying hands instead of the tea towel for dishes. 
This is one of my current WIPs. A shoulder bag decorated in my leftover leaves and flowers from the Jardin D'ete pot cosies.
A box of bird bodies...
Don't ask...
I found a little box filled with my favourite lost scissors which I thought I lost, and much loved stitch markers.
In sorting the WIPs I found a lot more granny squares and samplers. Occasionally if I'm bored or have lost my crojo, I crochet random grannies and then add them to a 'some day' bag. I also often crochet samplers for things I think might look nice. And then forget about them.
8Track decided they would make a nice nest for the afternoon.
I sorted all my crochet hooks into stationery holders bought from Officeworks. I labelled each compartment according to hook size.
I frogged whichever projects I knew I wasn't going to finish. and bagged the others.
And then catalogued the remaining WIPs including what bag or box they're in.
Then I got mail. Before the big WIP- apalooza I had ordered some stuff from the Woolwarehouse in the UK.
Sooo it looks like I have another WIP to add to the list.
At least after all that I found my lost blue crochet hook!

Alright. Surely I'm not the only one with a stash of hidden WIPs. How many have you got?

Louise


Red Haired Amazona

Comments

  1. I had a good laugh at this because I have been right where you are wondering what I was thinking about a project I had started years before. Good job with the sort out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! A toilet paper cosy, really? Tragic or genius?

      Delete
  2. I have waaaay to many WIP's! I have been cleaning out my house of things I haven't touched in years that have been stored away. Kitchen done and will donate the stuff I haven't used in years. Next is my yarn. What was I thinking on some of these skeins? I have been "created" a "new" office and crochet room out of my former "guest" room. I have been organizing it and I will only (yea, right!) have so much yarn to store, due to space. So yarn that I won't use is also going to be donated. I know it will be appreciated by someone else. WIP's are now organized and labeled in bins with the yarn needed included in the bin.
    I will start to complete those once I finish this bout of organizing and getting rid of things that I haven't used in years! You gave me the courage to continue!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Are we twinning or what? I did my kitchen about a month ago! After finishing sorting through the yarn, I actually found myself thinking I was running low! Except for cottons. I did find a random toolbox filled with fabric that I wasn't sure what to do with. I hadn't even thought of donating fabric. Thanks for the tip!

      Delete
  3. I've been on a bit of a clear out too & finishing off some old quilt tops & have given a few small ones away for new bubs or bubs to be. I've only one crochet WIP, made from lots of leftover Stylecraft DK from the Wool Warehouse. Ah, out of lockdown for us though it's still quite restrictive & means we still can't see DD in Melbourne or our boys in N.S.W. Take care & hugs. BTW, thanks for visiting my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Louise, this post is hilarious! Your remarks on your WIPS literally sent me into fits of laughs! And, OMG!!! Your crochet work is gorgeous! I literally scrolled up and down the post to soak in all that yarn-y gorgeousness!
    I must admit that lately I've been trying to reduce my WIPs. If I see that something is not going to make it, I frog it off. Had my fair share of keeping them for years, but now I am done. Wishing you a lovely Sunday and maybe some crochet?

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Red Haired Amazona on Etsy!