Plums, potatoes & blankets


Even if I don't get a huge crop from my garden, I just love the harvest! 
This year we had a bumper crop of Mariposa plums.
We also dug up maybe 4 or 5 kilos of potatoes. I honestly expected more potatoes and bigger but this was a good experiment as we grew them in big, black, plastic garbage bins that had the bottoms cut out.
At harvest time it was easy to pull up the bins and sift through the soil for the crop.

There was quite a few tiny taters. The kind of size you'd throw back in. But I boiled them whole and tossed them in salt, pepper and a big thwack of butter.

From our 6 year old plum tree we harvested about 7 kilos of fruit. We washed, cut and froze some, and made alot of it into spiced plum jam. 
As usual I had my supervisor looking on.
I really love jam. And I really enjoy making jam. 
This was the first batch of jam I'd made in over 12 years. I got most of the jars to suck in their little lid button thingos which I feel was a win!
After the making of the jam, I had a real hankering for Jam Drops. I had never made Jam Drops. I only usually bake maybe once every 5 years. I think I baked something last year. And now I have baked something this year. Going by the law of averages I shouldn't have to bake anything else until 2032.
And it's probably just as well. They look like weeping sores. Maybe I should bake them at Halloween and name them appropriately. They did however taste delicious.  #nailedit
Last August/ Septemberish I ordered Jane Crowfoots Persian Tiles Eastern Jewels pack from the Woolwarehouse. I have lusted after that for years! And I came across it on sale. Although I started it way back in the beginning of September, I haven't been able to work on it solidly due to the usual life interruptions.
This guy kept me company through most of the work and insisted on photobombing as much as possible.
At one point early on I crocheted one of the octagons into a mini one using mercerised crochet cottons to get a feel for how it should look. It's super pretty! I want to make a table cloth out of lots of these funky things but it would take... ugh so freaking long I don't think I could deal with the longness. 
Photobomber.

I also didn't take really regular progress photos which I have only just realised now and am annoyed at myself.
By the way I literally put these octos down for a quick snap and this dude rocked up and flopped down.
Hot tip: number your octagons!
Finally all the pieces were finished. I have sewn in all my ends as I went along. Can you imagine how many ends there were? I've kept them all! Like zillions. Zillions of ends. If I ever have someone I hate who is evil because they drive big trains over tiny guinea pigs or kittens or babies, and I catch them and lock them up in a dungeon under my house (which I would make them dig as I don't currently have one), then I would torture them by crocheting this blanket completely without sewing in any ends at all and make them sew in all the ends.  
As I was sewing up, I threw it on the bed for a quick photo. I was alone. I was luxuriating in aloneness. I was lining up this shot and some loser decided to manspread in my photo.
I don't think it needs to be said what a genius Jane Crowfoot is. And this colourway was created by Lucia from Lucia's Fig Tree. She is also a genius. There are some super brilliant colour brained people in the world like these two and Lucy from Attic24 and I have envy and love them for it. ( I apologise for the use of many 'ands'. I have been reading Hemmingway.)
I have only 1 more round to go and I'm finished. I'm going to give it a gentle wool wash when it's done. 
Stay tuned!

Louise


Red Haired Amazona

Comments

  1. Great post & photo bomber. I love your crochet & I too have used a Jane Crowfoot pattern, Sunshine & Shadows, made with an Attic 24 colour pack. I'm not a big jam fan, but have made blueberry jam a couple of times, though the last lot was a disaster due to my breadmaker dying in the middle of it. Your bikkies look yummy. That is a great haul of spuds.....well done. My garden has been a bit hit and miss this year, except for the blueberries. We need rain & a little less stifling heat. We should have met up at Little Miss Woollie's shop in Hastings & I could give you some. Take care & hugs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thats also a beautiful blanket! I could easily start making anyone of her blankets again such as Fiori or Mythical Lanterns but they do take alot if time and I have so many other projects I also want to do. I have always wanted to visit Little Woolie but haven't been over to that side in a couple of years. If I decide to take a trip, I'll let you know!

      Delete
  2. So beautiful! When I really looked at the hexi's (are they hexi's?) and really looked at all of the different colors you used, yikes! Doing the ends---what a chore! Congrats on getting it done. It is gorgeous! I have one of Jane's patterns that has sit for many years. No time and yes, all the colors. Perhaps someday, I will get it started and done. Good for you! How did you find the time?

    Your potatoes and plums look so yummy! Beautiful harvest! Fruit trees are just starting to blossom here. I think this year, I may make the trek of the "Blossom Trail". It is truly stunning! Yup. It is a thing where I live, website and everything.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just googled Blossom Trail. It looks simply stunning! I am deeply in awe and love of blossom trees. I missed seeing the cherry blossoms at Washington DC a few years ago, but have the Sakura festival in Japan on my bucket list!

      Delete
  3. Oh, thank you so much for the mention :) and totally agree about Jane and Lucia being absolute legends when it comers to design and colour. I proper belly laughed at your suggestion of torture for a super-mean person - too funny!! Wonderful to catch up with you here.....pleeeeease do blog more!! xxxxxxxxxxxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha! It would be that or make them crochet a blanket and cruelly make certain they run out of an important colour of yarn 6 inches before the end! Thank you for for your kind words. They mean so much!

      Delete
  4. Louise I am honored to know you and catch up with you at our monthly event.

    Your own crochet work is amazing and lucky enough to be published.

    We share a passion for gardening, harvesting and cats! Your sense of humour is crazy fun.

    Such a great blog with juicy photos. I agree wholeheartedly about the genius and skills of Janie Crowe, Lucia Dunn and Lucy from Attic24. I am eagerly awaiting the release of the border for Lucy's Harbour Blanket. I hope to take photos of it at tge Apollo Bay Harbour! Lucia's Folk Queen is in my queue fir our Winter. Have you done any of Tinna's (from Iceland) patterbs? She is so funny in her videos and her designs spectacular. She collaborates with Lucia Dunn (Folk Queen).

    Woo-hoo for you having Lucy from Attic24 commenting on your blog. See you soon my lovely. Virginia xx

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Red Haired Amazona on Etsy!