Hints of Spring

 It's August and this is happening outside.


Yes. Early signs of Spring.

Melbourne has rotten, dank winters but Spring starts early and I'm freaking excited!

Our household was finally hit by dreaded Auntie 'Rona just 5 or so weeks after we got over the last round of head colds. Bang bang double whammy!

Everyone except Sonofagun No.2 got it. 

I suspect a certain germ merchant may have transmitted it from me to SOG No.1 because as much as I tried to lock away the world so I wouldn't spread the Rona Lurve, I forgot about this guy.

Catspreading all the germs around. Bless.

I did have lots of fatigue lasting a couple of weeks. I had to take an extra week off work because all I wanted to do was sleep. One morning I took the dog for a short walk around the park. Then got home and slept until lunchtime. 

And I still have tinnitus. It's like a party in my ear. But the type of party held by the noisy shithead group house next door on a Monday night when you're trying to sleep and they are playing that horrific dub step 'music' from subwoofer speaker things. Yeah, that annoying.

But in the meantime I was able to work on a few things which are past due.

Back in January. Yes a whole 7 months ago I started making these little granny squares when on holiday in Mollymook. 

Here was I working at the dining table under the Motherships back pergola.

All the essentials. Tea, hook and yarn.

I managed to cram a bunch of cotton balls into a small craft bag and took it with me on a train trip up to Gosford.
Then I decided they would look amazing as a hanging lantern.

With tassels...


They're kind of pretty, aren't they?
My sweet lanterns are made from Scheepjes Catona which is a mercerised 4ply cotton.

Inside there is a little holder for a battery operated tea light.

I have finished writing up the pattern but I'm still waiting to take a few more nice, clear photos of the finished lantern for the cover page. Then I'll pop the pattern for sale on Etsy and Ravelry.
I was able to use some beads a friend gave me which she had collected from Op shop necklaces. I love repurposing!

This was one of my first finished lanterns. I gifted it to a friend.
The tassels for the first lantern were kind of basic.
But I have beefed them up and added heaps more. It looks alot better, don't you think?
You can see me mirrored in blown up photos of the beads. I am clearly not photo ready!
I used Scheepjes Catona cottons which I adore. I've used them in bags, mandalas, cushion covers, in my amigurumi and in pot cosies.
It won't be long now until the pattern is up on Etsy and Ravelry. 

Thanks for stopping by!

Louise


Red Haired Amazona



Comments

  1. Yes, Spring is on it's way, although looks like another week of wet, windy & cool down here, from our weather reports. Love your lanterns & glad you are feeling much better. Don't overdo it till fully recovered. Take care & hugs.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Red Haired Amazona on Etsy!