What a wonderful, rumbly time we're having down under!

 

We had a little bit of excitement down under the other week.

As you can tell from my mildly confused black cat and wiggly hanging plants that something is kind of happening. 

Full disclosure: I was in the shower. Not a care in the world when all of a sudden I felt a bit woozy. You know that light headed kind of feeling when you might faint and everything seems like you're on a boat?

That was me. I gripped the shower rail and my first thought as the earth moved under me was, "Oh shit. I'm butt naked in the shower and I'm having a stroke. The kids won't notice I'm gone for hours and when they're hungry they'll come looking for me. They'll hear the shower running and not bother checking. Then the Bear will come home this afternoon and walk in and find my dead, fat, naked, waterlogged carcass on the floor in the shower that's been running for 6 hours and there'll be a huge waterbill."

And then I realised I had felt this once before over 20 years ago in Indonesia and looked at the chain hanging down from the roller blinds to see it swinging. Phew! I was relieved it was an earthquake.

That previous experience was in Lombok, Indonesia. I was sitting eating noodles in my bungalow when all of a sudden it felt like the whole bungalow was moving on waves like the ocean. You feel a little whoozy as your head can't comprehend that the ground is moving this way. I later found my best friend and travel buddy and asked her if she felt the earthquake but apparently she was stoned in a hammock on her bungalow verandah and missed the whole thing.

As I hopped out of the shower (my thought processes spun from "can't be found naked and dead from a stroke in the shower or naked and crushed in an earthquake faultline like Lois Lane in Superman 1 so I better quickly get some clothes on") my phone was ringing. It was the Bear who was at work. They had experienced lots of crazy rocking and shaking over there so he wanted to see if it hit at home as well. 

There have apparently been aftershocks but I haven't felt any. I kind of wish I could because I feel like I didn't have time to really absorb what was happening in that last one. 

We've been out enjoying some beautiful weather over the past few days.

We've made a couple of visits to different parts of the Werribee River Trail. I had never been despite it being just 15 minutes from home. This section is right next to the central hub of Werribee but is just lovely. There are landscaped native gardens, adventure playlands for people with littlies, and this big mildly ugly but kind of cool pedestrian bridge over the river.
I went walking with my super lovely friend and our kids on one day ( 2 double vaxxed adults can meet outdoors now!!) and a few days later I dragged the Bear with me for an early Sunday morning cappuccino & walk. He grumbled a little about 'having jobs to do' until I reminded him that having a coffee and ramble date with the missus was more important.




I didn't see any platypus but it's nice to know they're around.

I have made further progress on the Sonofagun Blanket. I'm now up to 25 squares. I think I may need to have 64 squares before I can start edging. That should just be double bed sized.
I'm getting ridiculously bored with blues, browns and reds but when I look at the different squares together I really like the overall style. I've started added a few feature squares so the blanket can tell a little story about who he is at this time. I know I'm being bold about posting them here but I'm fairly confident a 20 year old fella does not read his mother craft blog!
I also recently pulled out my large hexagon blanket which I finished maybe 9 or 10 years ago? I can't remember how old it is. It has been stored carefully away in a plastic ziplocked bag under the bed. I gave it a wash and a good airing out.
Someone found it a rather fun hiding spot.

When his eyes are like this I know to be careful.
It's the 8Track equivalent of Bruce from Finding Nemo. He's smelt blood in the water.
I used a pen to lift the blanket for good reason.

Louise


Red Haired Amazona

Comments

  1. Great post & like you, we were a bit unsure for the first few seconds about the quake, but then realised what it was, having experienced many over my 70 odd years in many places in eastern Australia, but not one that big for a long time. We've felt many smaller ones here in West Gippsland over the 17 years we've been here. Now, I've not been to that particular park, but have visited Organ Pipes NP? It's fascinating & there are platypus in the creek too. Your large hexagon blanket is way too precious to be stored in plastic under the bed. It's gorgeous. Look forward to seeing how the other one comes along. We are double vaxed too & are looking forward to more freedom one day. Take care & hugs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I remember about 10ish years ago I had some glasses tinkling on the shelves from a little quake that apparently had it's epicentre in Gippsland. So it sounds like you must get a few out there! Thanks for your kind words and the tip about Organ Pipes. I had never heard of it. I will try and check it out when we're no longer 15km limited!

      Delete
  2. Don't be too sure that your lad is not reading your blog - mine do (as do their girlfriends!) so ... no pressure!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha! Good point! This will be a test then to see how surprised he is in a few weeks!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Red Haired Amazona on Etsy!