Laila Persian Crocheted Lantern- NEW PATTERN

In Arabic 'Laila' means 'night'. When I stayed in Lombok in 1999/2000 my Indonesian friends called me 'Laila' as they knew I loved the Eric Clapton song. It was their way of gentle joking and welcoming me into their family. 


I've been working on this lantern for way too long.

I started it initially back in January while on holiday to Mollymook.
I took a bag of assorted cottons in a bag and started making these up on the table on the back deck.
It took a little bit to get the measurements right to fit the metal hoop.
This was my first finished lantern. It was cute and colourful. But I decided I had to up my tassel game.
Go hard or go home.
I also created a little holder for a battery operated tealight to go inside and hang low. This gives maximum effect for the light casting out through the holes in the granny squares.

And voila!
I have made 2 different sizes. 
The written pattern is for the pink and green lantern on the left below, but I have also included full instructions if you want to make a wider and longer lantern with a bigger hoop.
Over the past 7 months I fussed and fiddled with it. Got distracted by other projects. Got the 'Rona. Had another cold virus. Made a blanket for my nephew. Fell down the rabbit hole of building a family tree online (omg so fascinating and fun!)
I then made the mistake of starting to listen to ancient history audiobooks on Britain & France, then watching the TV show Poldark.  Then getting addicted to Poldark. Getting angry at Poldark for being such an idiot. Then refusing to watch anymore stupid Poldark and forgetting about this ALL IMPORTANT LANTERN PROJECT!!!
I still haven't gotten over how much of an idiot Poldark is.
And then because it has been winter, nice days for photography were few and far between. And my house is still too messy to have nice photo backdrops. Come on. We've all had those types of years!
I used Scheepjes Catona 4ply cottons and a finger weight gold metallic yarn. In Australia the main brand of this is Milford Metallics.
In the pattern it has a few other suggestions that are available in other countries around the world. Alternatively choose whatever suits best for you or find a compatible yarn using the website yarnsub.com
Would you like to make a Laila Persian Lantern?

Of course you would!!
You can purchase one of my 10 page patterns on Etsy or Ravelry for US$7.00.
Included in the pattern is:
A section devoted to the colours and types of yarn used including photos.
Full descriptions of the measurements, yarns, and tools needed.
US terminology chart
A full description including handy chart on how to adjust the pattern for smaller or larger hoops
A complete step by step guide including colour photographs for:
  1.  making the grannies, 
  2. assembling the lantern, 
  3. making tassels, 
  4. creating the hanging chain and optional tealight holder,
  5. and tips for blocking your finished lantern
There is also a full page with a stitch graph for the granny squares for those who prefer those.


Once you grab a copy of the pattern and whip one up, pop it on Instagram and tag me ( @red.haired.amazona.crochets )so I can see your awesome makes!

Louise


Red Haired Amazona

Comments

  1. Awesome!!!!! Nice to see a post pop up & some lovely photos too. Photography has bee hard this winter, hasn't it? Take care & hugs.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your lanterns are FABULOUS! Love love love the colours!
    Jillxo

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Red Haired Amazona on Etsy!